Legal Information

Consumer Fireworks are legal under Federal law for consumer use, therefore we can legally ship fireworks anywhere in the United States.

We currently ship to all but the following states:

CA, DE, HI, MA, ME, NJ, NY, OR, RI, and Washington D.C

Consumer fireworks, also referred to as DOT 1.4G fireworks, are legal according to federal law. In order to be classified as “consumer fireworks”, the fireworks must be tested by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and meet various requirements with regard to composition, the quantity of pyrotechnic material, and the stability of the product under heat and stress. Once the CPSC has classified an item as a “consumer fireworks”, the item is legal under Federal law for consumer use. Fireworks that do not meet this certification are classified as commercial (display) fireworks and require a Federal license to purchase and use them.

Fat City Fireworks sells only consumer fireworks that have been certified by the CPSC for consumer use. Because federal law applies to interstate commerce, we can legally ship fireworks anywhere in the United States. Unfortunately, State and local ordinances may ban certain fireworks if you are not in possession of a permit allowing you to own and store those fireworks. As a result, the responsibility for complying with State and local laws falls upon you (the buyer).

If you order consumer fireworks from Fat City Fireworks, we will ship them via common carrier (a trucking company) to the destination you specify. If you order items that are not permitted in your State or local area, it is possible (but unlikely) for your fireworks to be confiscated by State or local authorities. If this happens, you assume complete responsibility for the confiscation of the products you order. Fat City Fireworks will not refund money for confiscated items that were ordered contrary to State or local ordinances. We recommend you apply to your State Fire Marshal or other authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) to obtain the necessary permits to posess fireworks legally in your area.

Fat City Fireworks advocates following all State and local laws with regard to fireworks. One possible solution for individuals that live in restrictive areas is to have shipments delivered to a truck terminal that is outside of the State in which you live. Fat City Fireworks uses various companies to deliver most of its fireworks, and many of them have truck terminals located throughout the United States. Of course, once you receive your fireworks out of State, you will need to find a place to store them legally as well. A better solution would be to lobby your State and local officials to change outdated fireworks laws and regulations.

Fat City Fireworks has gone to great lengths to collect and assemble information on fireworks laws for all of the 50 States and the District of Columbia. Every attempt has been made to make sure the information we provide is accurate and reliable. However, State laws change all the time and it is possible that the information we present here is out of date, inaccurate, or just plain wrong. To be absolutely sure of the laws in your State regulating consumer fireworks, call your State Fire Marshal’s office. Fat City Fireworks is not responsible for errors, omissions, or inaccuracies that may be present in this data.